Heavy Equipment & Truck Mechanic Training
South Plainfield, NJ
South Plainfield, NJ
If you are interested in learning an essential skill that cannot be outsourced, Lincoln Tech’s South Plainfield campus offers hands-on training in heavy equipment service. 88% of graduates from our Heavy Equipment and Truck Technology program (all day & evening cohorts combined) get hired in the field after completing their training1.
The combination of quality training and a skills gap creates significant job opportunity. New Jersey projects 17% job growth for Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians by 20302. With this valuable program offered in the heart of the northeast shipping corridor, graduates can launch careers with real impact while meeting industry needs for qualified mechanics and operators.
Highlights of Heavy Equipment Mechanic School
The Heavy Equipment Service Technology program is a comprehensive series of training courses covering diesel engine construction, fuel & electrical systems, and hydraulic systems. This program is comprised of 1,320 hours of classroom and hands-on training. This translates into approximately 57 weeks of training. Students graduate with the skills necessary to begin their career as mechanics repairing and maintaining many types of heavy equipment.
- Disassemble and reassemble engines, transmissions and transaxles from a variety of heavy equipment and vehicles
- Maintain and repair heavy-duty braking systems, as well as suspension, fuel, and electrical systems
- Apply basic welding procedures for certain types of repairs
- Understand the physics of hydraulics, and how it applies to heavy equipment repair and maintenance for front-loaders, backhoes, tracked vehicles and trucks
- Repair front-end loader differentials, kingpin suspensions, and rubber/steel track systems
Build skills for a career keeping some of our nation’s most vital equipment operating properly on the road, at construction sites, in mining operations, and at farming & agricultural centers.
Highlights of Heavy Equipment Operation School
The Heavy Equipment Operation program can help develop valuable skills for the new heavy equipment service technology program graduate. Learning how to operate various types of heavy machinery is an added-value skill that allows them to test their repairs under operational conditions.
This program can also be completed as standalone training, and Lincoln Tech can ready a student for entry into the field as a heavy equipment operator after 8 weeks of in-depth training.
This 240-hour training program consists of two 120-hour training courses. With a schedule set at 30 hours per week, students can become proficient at operating many types of tracked and wheeled vehicles in 8 weeks. This essential skill is experiencing 6% annual job growth within the State of New Jersey out to 20303.
Part 1 – Introduction to Operating Heavy Equipment (120 Contact Hours - 80 Lecture Hours/40 Lab Hours)
- Students will be introduced to the trade and learn safety and identification of heavy equipment.
- Students will also complete the NCCER CORE curriculum which also carries a recognized credential in the construction trades.
- Topic areas in the NCCER CORE Curriculum include materials handling, construction mathematics, introduction to construction drawings, rigging, hand and power tools, and orientation to the construction trade.
Part 2 - Heavy Equipment Operation I (120 Contact Hours - 60 Lecture Hours/60 Lab Hours)
- Students will learn basic operational techniques, utility tractors, introduction to earthmoving, understanding landscape grades, and interpreting civil drawings.
- Introduction to the heavy highway trade (trucks, heavy equipment, cranes, and forklifts, below‐grade construction, earthmoving, plant operations, paving, structures, and operations at a job site.
- Students will operate a variety of off‐road equipment in a simulated environment to perform exercises on excavator and wheel loader equipment.
- Simulator exercises include basic controls, loading, and unloading, excavating, and trenching.
See How The CAT Simulators Appear: Cat Simulators VR Series – Video #3: Training Anytime, Anywhere.
Build skills for a career with heavy-duty growth and earning potential. Check out Heavy Equipment training at Lincoln Tech’s South Plainfield campus today. These career training programs are offered at our South Plainfield, NJ campus:
The Heavy Equipment Operator program is not eligible for financial aid, and it is out of our accreditor’s scope of accreditation. This program is not available to Georgia and Wisconsin residents.
1 As Reported to the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges on the 2022 Annual Report.
2 National Center for O*NET Development. New Jersey Employment Trends: 49-3042.00 - Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines. O*NET OnLine. Retrieved January 12, 2023, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/49-3042.00?st=NJ&g=Go.
3 National Center for O*NET Development. New Jersey Employment Trends: 47-2073.00 - Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators. O*NET OnLine. Retrieved July 11, 2023, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/localtrends/47-2073.00?st=NJ.