Patient Care Technician
A career as a Patient Care Technician can be a valuable first step into the world of professional healthcare. Lincoln’s Patient Care Technician training program is designed to help you build the skills and experience you need to begin a career where you’re changing the lives of your patients!
As a Lincoln student, you’ll gain the entry-level knowledge and clinical skills needed by Patient Care Technicians in hospitals, surgical centers, rehabilitation facilities, and a wide range of other healthcare settings. You’ll learn why Patient Care Technicians are integral members of healthcare teams and you’ll practice working with doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to oversee and monitor patients.
Patient Care Technicians have hands-on patient-focused responsibilities such as taking and interpreting vital signs, collecting specimens and ensuring patient comfort. In addition, Patient Care Technicians are trained in phlebotomy and electrocardiography fundamentals.
If you’re already a Certified Nursing Assistant, training to earn Patient Care Technician certification is a smart way to increase your “marketability” to potential employers by building on the skills you already possess. Graduates of Lincoln’s program are eligible to sit for several certification exams, including EKG Technician, Phlebotomy Technician, AHA Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider, and Certified Patient Care Technician.
During your Patient Care Technician training program, you will:
- Learn Phlebotomy essentials such as proper blood collection and testing procedures
- Perform student-to-student practice blood draws to perfect your technique
- Receive hands-on instruction in performing standard 12-lead electrocardiographies (EKGs)
- Learn to perform CPR—a skill that is valuable inside and outside of your profession!
- Pursue Basic Life Support certification from the American Heart Association
- Master the intricacies of tending to the integumentary and circulatory systems, wound care, ostomy care, pressure ulcer prevention, and treatment of diabetes
- And much more!
The patient career field includes a wide variety of possibilities for people looking to make an impact on the health and well-being of others, and Patient Care Technicians often have more direct contact with patients than any other health professionals do! As a Patient Care Technician you’ll have a profound effect on the recovery of the people you care for. Our Patient Care Technician program is your path to a world of new opportunities – a world where you can mold your caring, compassionate nature into a bright and successful future!